People that work outdoors have to deal with lots of issues regarding their footwear, such as:
- Lack of safety features to keep them safe from getting injured outdoors
- Absence of ergonomic features to help outdoor workers in dealing with their tough work shifts
- Low-quality waterproofing and insulation
- Bulky and heavy work shoes which are very uncomfortable to carry around outdoors
These, among many other problems, motivated me to perform a deep research and write this guide of the best work boots for the outdoors. Let’s begin.
The 10 Best Work Shoes for Outdoors
This is the list of the best work shoes for outdoors I’ve arrived at after weeks of research and testing:
1. Danner Vicious 4.5 Inch Non-Metallic Toe Work Shoes.
2. KEEN Utility Pittsburgh 6″ Steel Toe Work Shoes. .
3. Carhartt CMW6220 6 Steel Toe Work Shoes.
4. Caterpillar Diagnostic Waterproof Work Shoes.
5. Irish Setter 83906 Wellington Work Shoes.
6. Georgia Boot Loggers G7313 Work Shoes.
7. Timberland PRO Boondock 6 Inch Work Shoes.
8. KEEN Utility Milwaukee 6″ Work Shoes.
9. Timberland PRO Gridworks Moc Work Shoes.
10. Thorogood American Heritage 8″ MAX Wear Work Shoes.
1. Danner Vicious 4.5 Inch Non-Metallic Toe Work Shoes
- Toe caps: Composite safety toes
- Footbeds: PU cushioned footbeds
- Outsoles: Vibram Vicious oil & slip-resistant outsoles.
The best way to feel safe working outdoors is by wearing work shoes manufactured with solid features which is the case with these Danner Vicious safety shoes.
For once, they come manufactured with composite safety toes that guarantee workers their toes will remain intact if heavy tools were to fall in the toe-box area of the shoes.
Moreover, the shoes come with:
- Oil and slip-resistant outsoles that provide perfect traction on uneven and rocky surfaces commonly found outdoors
- Waterproofing linings that maintain the feet dry when the shoes happen to be exposed to exterior liquids (i.e. rain)
Regarding the comfort the shoes provide, these Danner shoes surpassed my expectations thanks to their PU footbeds. These insoles were not only very ergonomic but also cushioned my feet when it was time to face long work shifts where I would spend 10 hours on my feet, transforming this tough experience into something substantially better.
2. KEEN Utility Pittsburgh 6″ Steel Toe Work Shoes
- Safety toe caps: Safety steel toes
- Outsoles: Oil and slip-resistant non-marking rubber outsoles
- Footbeds: Metatomical dual-density EVA footbed
Outdoor workers spend the majority of their days well… outdoors. This demands them to be protected at all times which is why it’s mostly advised to wear proper safety footwear.
In that context, these Keen Utility Pittsburgh work shoes stand as a great alternative as they come with amazing protective features such as:
- Safety steel toe caps that keep the toes safe from getting crushed by heavy falling tools
- Keen patented toe protection which makes the outsoles cover the toe box area to add even more toe protection
- Slip and oil-resistant outsoles that provide great traction on rocky and uneven surfaces commonly found outdoors
Regarding their comfort features, these Keen Utility shoes did not lack behind either.
In fact, they come with PU midsoles that offer perfect shock absorption and EVA footbeds with a metatomical design that makes dealing with long work shifts standing a much easier task.
3. Carhartt CMW6220 6 Steel Toe Work Shoes
- Toe caps: Safety steel toes
- Footbeds: Cushioned PU footbeds
- Outsoles: Dual-density PU outsoles with slip-resistant attributes
Getting work shoes with enough safety attributes is a must for me, especially when I’m thinking I’ll be using them outdoors.
This is why I loved these Carhartt work shoes, as they come with excellent protective features such as their steel toe caps that give workers the confidence their toes won’t be crushed by heavy tools falling anytime soon.
Moreover, the shoes have the so-called “Storm Defender” waterproof membrane that becomes essential for workers usually working exposed to exterior liquids.
Their dual-density PU outsoles with slip-resistant attributes are enough for transmitting workers the confidence that they can walk on whatever outdoor surface they want without the fear of slipping, losing balance, and getting injured.
To improve these shoes, even more, the guys at Carhartt added surprisingly good comfort features such as these shoes’ cushioned PU foot beds . These insoles are responsible for absorbing all the shocks generated by walking all day on rocky outdoor surfaces, thus preventing long-term problems from developing.
4. Caterpillar Diagnostic Waterproof Work Shoes
- Safety toe caps: Safety steel toes
- Outsoles: Oil, water, and abrasion-resistant outsoles
- Footbeds: Removable perforated EVA footbeds with gel technology
There’s nothing worse than working shoes and feeling unprotected.
This is why I love these Caterprilla Diagnostic work shoes as they come with:
- Oil, slip, water, and abrasion-resistant T901 rubber outsoles that deliver perfect traction on rocky and uneven outdoor surfaces
- Safety steel toe caps that keep the toes safe from getting crushed by heavy tools commonly found unsafely laying around at many worksites
Moreover, these shoes are weatherproof thanks to their waterproof leather and 200 grams of Thinsulate insulation. In combination, both of these features work to maintain the feet dry and warm when exposed to cold and rainy weather.
Regarding their comfort, the shoes come with removable EVA inserts with gel technology that cushion the base of the feet. This is regarded as a life-saving feature for most outdoor workers who are used to walking 10 to 12 hours on uneven outdoor surfaces.
5. Irish Setter 83906 Wellington Work shoes
- Toe caps: Safety steel toes
- Footbeds: Removable PU cushioned footbeds
- Outsoles: Vibram XClaim TC-4 Plus rubber outsoles
Outdoor workers require a lot from their work boots in terms of protection.
In that context, these Irish Setter 83906 work shoes appear like a great option as they come with solid safety features. For once, their steel toe caps are incorporated to offer workers maximum toe protection, which is essential for outdoor workers that work with heavy tools.
Moreover, they come with the so-called “UltraDry” waterproofing membrane which left a good impression on me during the testing period as it kept my feet dry even when working under the rain.
Also, their Vibram XClaim TC-4 rubber outsoles are incorporated for offering superior traction on outdoor surfaces.
Regarding their comfort features the boots performed pretty good too.
In fact, I’d say they were one of the most comfortable safety shoes for outdoors I tested mainly thanks to their removable PU footbeds responsible for cushioning the feet during the workday.
6. Georgia Boot Loggers G7313 Work Shoes
- Toe caps: Steel toe caps
- Footbeds: Cushioned footbeds
- Outsoles: Abrasion-resistant rubber outsoles
Dealing with serious risks is something very common for workers that do their jobs outdoors. This is why I recommend these workers to get well-equipped work shoes.
These Georgia G7313 work shoes appear as the perfect option for these workers as they come with respectable safety attributes such as:
- The so-called “Georgia waterproof system” which keeps outdoor workers from getting their feet wet when exposed to exterior liquids
- Steel toe caps that protect the toes from getting crushed by heavy tools falling
- Abrasion-resistant rubber outsoles with deep lugs offer solid traction on uneven surfaces
In terms of comfort, the shoes are manufactured with a flexible yet very rugged full-grain leather which protects the workers’ feet when working outdoors.
7. Timberland PRO Boondock 6 Inch Work Shoes
- Safety toe caps: Composite safety toes
- Outsoles: Dual-density PU and TPU slip-resistant outsoles
- Footbeds: Cushioned insoles
I appreciate it when a pair of work shoes are not only comfortable but very protective.
This is why I like these Timberland PRO Boondock work shoes as they come, for instance, with composite safety toes and slip-resistant outsoles, which in combination, prevent workers from suffering severe injuries when working outdoors.
Their Timberland PRO rubber toe protectors and the abrasion-resistant and waterproof leather are features incorporated to maximize protection and keep the workers’ feet dry at all times.
Convenience-wise, the shoes are manufactured with padded top collars which make the experience of wearing them for long periods of time substantially more bearable, to say the least.
8. KEEN Utility Milwaukee 6″ Work Shoes
- Toe caps: Safety steel toe caps
- Footbeds: Removable dual-density EVA footbeds
- Outsoles: Slip and oil-resistant non-marking rubber outsoles
When talking to outdoor workers everyone tells me the same: outdoor safety footwear must be protective. In fact, there’re all sorts of risks these workers must face, which is why outdoor shoes must have proper safety attributes.
Luckily, that’s what these Keen Utility Milwaukee work shoes bring to the table as they have:
- Abrasion and water resistant leather that keeps the toes dry and protected from external threats
- Steel toe caps that maintain toes totally safe
- Oil and slip resistant outsoles that provide unmatched traction on slippery surfaces
Regarding comfort features, these shoes have dual-density foot beds responsible for fully cushioning the feet which is essential to prevent serious foot pain from developing.
Last but not least, they come with moisture-wicking linings responsible for wicking moisture away and keeping the feet dry and odor-free.
9. Timberland PRO Gridworks Moc Work Shoes
- Toe caps: Soft toes
- Footbeds: Anti-fatigue footbeds
- Outsoles: TPU flat outsoles with slip and heat resistant capabilities
Protection is essential when working outdoors. Getting your toes crushed to losing balance when walking on rocky outdoor surfaces can be among the most common problems workers must deal with when working outdoors.
In that context, These Timberland PRO Gridworks work shoes stand as a footwear option as they come with solid safety features such as their TPU flat outsoles with heat and slip-resistant capabilities. These attributes make the shoes perfect for workers that commonly work outdoors on flat surfaces (i.e. concrete).
If you’re thinking of wearing them on uneven or rocky areas, I’d say you go for other work shoes with raised heels as they’ll provide you with more stability.
Moreover, the shoes come manufactured with a full-grain waterproof leather that is responsible for keeping the feet dry when workers must work exposed to rain or other types of liquids.
Regarding their comfort features, the shoes come with a mesh lining that’s responsible for wicking moisture away and keeping the feet dry and cool at all times, even during harsh summers.
10. Thorogood American Heritage 8″ MAXWear Work Shoes
- Toe caps: Steel toe caps
- Footbeds: Poron comfort cushion footbeds
- Outsoles: MAXWear slip-resistant outsoles
Being protected while working outdoors is a top priority for most workers.
This is why I liked these Thorogood American Heritage work shoes as they come with solid safety features such as:
- Steel toe caps that keep workers’ toes safe from getting crushed by heavy tools (i.e. hammers)
- Waterproof leather which acts as a barrier that keeps water and other liquids from entering the shoes and getting the feet wet
- “MaxWear” slip-resistant rubber outsoles that due to the traction offered allow workers to walk on all kinds of outdoor surfaces without fearing getting injured
Also, the work shoes are manufactured in America, which is a guarantee of quality and durability.
Last but not least, the shoes come with the known Poron footbeds which, thanks to their ergonomic cushioning, allow workers to work all day on their feet without suffering foot pains.
What is the Best Work Shoes Overall?
Timberland PRO Boondock 6 Inch Work Shoes for Outdoors
I chose these Timberland Boondock as the best work Shoes for outdoors overall mainly due to the following features:
- Steel toe caps that protect the toes from getting crushed
- Timberland PRO rubber toe protectors that enhance toe protection even more
- Waterproof leather that is perfect for workers that work outdoors in frequent exposure to rain and other liquids
- Dual-density slip-resistant outsoles that prevent serious injuries generated by slips and falls
If you want to read more about these awesome work shoes please consider clicking the button down below and reading the entire review.